Skagway is a VERY small, quaint town. The population is 892 people, so when a cruise ship is in port, their population doubles! For entertainment the locals said you eat and shop... and what's really strange is they have over 30 different jewelry stores.
Skagway was my port to do an adventurous excursion and Jere was in charge of Lilly. Mel, Cace, and I signed up to take a helicopter up to a dog sledding camp to meet the huskies and dogsled. When we arrived in Skagway it was so overcast and the clouds were very low. Therefore the helicopter couldn't get to the dogsled camp due to low/no visibility at that altitude. Instead we took a helicopter and did a glacier discovery on Meade Glacier. It was neat, but frigidly cold. I thought my fingers were going to fall off! I've always wanted to stand on a glacier and see what it was like, but once you've done it once there is no need to do it again in my opinion. Some people LOVED it and we saw some neat stuff that you wouldn't see anywhere except on a glacier. It was a really neat experience but Mel and I were a little disappointed we didn't get to see the dogs and dogsled.
About to board the helicopter...
Headsets on and ready to fly...
Some of the views from above...
(the reflection of the window made it difficult to take pics)
Meade Glacier
It almost looks like a paved road, but it is ICE!
We tasted glacier water. It was freezing but tasted so good, purified and refreshing!
You have to watch your step or you might slip and fall into once of these!
This is supposedly really neat and rare to see... ice crystals!
Many rivers run through it...
Soaking in the knowledge or freezing my arse off... I'd side with the latter, but I look pretty convincing.
Glacier ice is so clear. I love how it reflected the light.
These look like mud mountains but they are actually made of ice and covered with decomposed rock.
This proves the density and strength of the glacier. This huge rock is being held by the ice even though there is a large hole in it.
It's crazy to think we are standing on a river of ice that is moving, slowly but surely!
About to head back down...
Jeremiah, Lilly, Mom and Dad went on the White Pass Scenic Railroad. It wasn't quite as exciting as they thought it was going to be, but it was beautiful scenery! Jere and Dad like trains so riding on a narrow rail system was pretty cool!
At the beginning of the trip, ready to ride!
Starting to get a bit antsy... riding on Daddy's shoulders always does the trick!
I love it when Jere wears Lilly! I think he looks so cute! Such a stud daddy!
Crossing between the USA and Canada
Pulling out all the stops. Their faces say it all... L was getting fussy...
They did it!
After our excursions we all reconvened and grabbed a yummy lunch. We ate at the best little restaurant called The Stowaway Cafe. It was delicious and they had the best baked brie! Afterwards, Jere took Lilly back to the ship for her nap and the rest of us explored the city a bit.
Original family of four in front of the Skagway visitor center. It is covered in over 10,000 piece of driftwood!
The rocks where the cruise ships dock are all covered in graffiti.
Okay, honestly I don't remember at all what is going on here... Mel, do you remember???
Just strolling back to the ship...
Then all of a sudden...
BIZARRE
We loaded back up and set sail for Ketchikan.
The wind was sooo strong!
The most photographed light house in the world.
Next stop...
Ketchikan, AK
















No comments:
Post a Comment