On June 12th Lilly came down with her first fever/virus. :( It was no fun, but we survived the first little bug!
She woke up that morning, I fed her and then afterwards while holding her I noticed that she seemed really hot. She was acting normal, but her head felt like a furnace. I got out the thermometer and did what any brave mom would do... took her temp rectally. :) She did great but was running about 101.8. I called my friend Emily and my mom to get their advice on whether to call the doc or not since it was a Sunday. They were great, informative, and put me at ease. I gave her some Tylenol and when she woke from her morning nap she still had a temp so I called the doc and talked to the nurse on call. L was acting normal, crawling, playing, but a little irritable and fussy along with some rattling when she breathed. The nurse said to watch her and as long as her temp was 101.5 or higher to give Tylenol and if she had fever in the morning to call and make an appointment to bring her in.
Sure enough she had a fever of 103.3 the next morning so we went to the doc. That day she was not herself and had very little energy or personality. At the doc they checked her out. Her lymph nodes in her throat were swollen and her throat was really red. They did a strep test but it came back negative. So it was deemed a virus and would have to run its course. I kept a log of her temps and they ranged from 99.5 while on Tylenol to 104.4 once the medicine wore off. We took it easy for a couple of days. We read lots of books, rested, put cool washrags on her head, kept her hydrated, and gave Tylenol for pain. After about two days her fever broke and she bounced back to normal in no time! I must say I loved the snuggles while she was under the weather, but I'm glad to have my happy energetic baby girl back!





1 comment:
Glad she is better, I hate those mystery viruses. Oh the bottom taking temperature, such a joy and they love it so much also ;)!
Post a Comment